It's a Baby! (was Re: Another topic)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 4 14:36:53 EST 2003

> It's a Slot Problem.  Our brains have some Slots.  For instance, there
> is the Dog Name
> Slot.  You need to call the dog and you use whatever happens to be in
> the Dog Name
> Slot at the time, which can be the name of any dog you've ever owned or
> lived with.  Or
> the kids.  Or whatever.
>
> Same with the Kid Slot.  And the Cat Slot.   A very serious problem is
> the Spouse Slot,
> if you've had more than one.  Subsequent spice do not tend to
> appreciate being
> called by the names of previous spice.  My brother perpetrated this at
> his second
> wedding reception.  They're still married, though.

Unfortunately, my brain appears to have 'man behaving badly in such and
such a way' slots. This makes it truly embarrassing when one inadvertently
calls a man in one's life by another man's name. (Not, mind you, in bed,
but for instance when they are being stubborn about choosing a restaurant,
insist on doing things the hard way, etc.)

Presumably those with multiple concurrent spice just deal with this sort
of thing and get on with their lives...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_