Another topic

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Dec 4 11:02:30 EST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

|Are there other examples, not counting ones about hermaphrodytes or or
|transsexuals?  It can cause very great confusion in books with
|cross-dressing -- thinking of the opening chapter of Georgette Heyer's *The
|Masqueraders*, in which what look like the wrong pronouns start to be used
|all of a sudden.

Yes, but I can't think of how to answer the question without a spoiler
alert.  Two-stage warning: first the author, then more spoiler space,
than the title.  Proceed at your own risk.

for a book by Connie Willis

Uncharted Territories.

-deborah
--
This is St. Gulik. He is the Messenger of the Goddess. A different age from
ours called him Hermes. Many people called him by many names. He is a