dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #757

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Dec 3 23:40:38 EST 2003

> >I generally need *someone* with whom to identify or sympathise, or the
> >book is a spiky, unpleasant experience.

What an excellent description of the effect! I plowed through Marion
Zimmer Bradley's [blanking on title- something about Avalon-- the
Arthurian one] with extreme effort, because I found by 1/3 of the way
through that I disliked everyone in the book, and felt that most of them--
especially the pagan priestesses one was supposed to admire-- might have
been better drowned at birth.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_