Another topic

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 3 19:35:42 EST 2003

>Sally and Sarah both disliked the use of 'they/their/them' as a
>gender-neutral singular pronoun. I disagree, but this is one of my
>hobby-horses and I've been riding it just recently on another list, so I'll
>refrain on this occasion. However, in that other discussion I was pointed to
>an interesting article on the history of this usage, and of the objections
>to it: http://www.vocabula.com/2003/VRSEPT03Altieri.htm. For interest, as
>they say.

Charlie's reference points to the exceptional use of singular they. We had
a massive debate in our department about this issue last semester (everyone
teaches at least some composition, so we care). Usages like
"everyone...they" are a grey area, because, as the article points out,
sometimes the use of everyone is clearly plural. Some people find it
acceptable, others do not.

The problem I have is that my students then think that it is okay to use
they even when the subject is clearly singular: "a student handed in their
homework."

Robyn