It's a Baby! (was Re: Another topic)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 18:41:33 EST 2003

Melissa wrote:

>I've mostly seen it in contemporaries of Nesbit (and earlier) but only in a
>general sense--I can't cite many examples.  What I've seen most often is
>referring to an infant as "it," not so much older children.  I don't know
>why that is.

Might it be when the baby isn't generally named, just referred to as "the
baby" or "Baby"?  I mean, it gets mentioned as "Isabella was the baby of
the family" on about page three, and then is just "the baby" thereafter,
not actually called "Isabella"?

>Melissa Proffitt
>who calls all her kids "you there"
>on the assumption that they know who they are

A lady I knew (she was Mayor of Totnes and is therefore on my mind just at
this moment) decided at one point that her three children were really
called "Somebody", "Anybody" and "Everybody", because when she said "could
somebody help lay the table?" (say) the eldest would always do it, when she
said "Can anybody find the forks?" the youngest would, and if she said
"Will everybody clear the table for supper, *now*!" then the middle child
sometimes would as well...

Minnow