Identifying with characters, with Robin Hobb Spoilers

Wed Dec 3 12:11:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:41:48 -0800 (PST), Ven wrote:

>Melissa wrote
>
><Identifying with a character is the next level
>for me, and I define it as
>seeing some aspect of the character's personality
>
>or situation that I
>understand at a gut level.  Either it's something
>
>I've done or been, or
>something that arouses great empathy within me,
>but somehow I can see myself
>as that character or in that situation.  The
>thing is, I don't really see
>this as more desirable than the other.  It's
>interesting, and intense, but
>not better.>
>
>Absolutely but I never said it was better,
>honest!

I wasn't talking about you, really.  :)  I was just thinking that as I was
putting it into terms of "next level" that sometimes sounds as if it's
better than previous levels.  It was my own reaction rather than a blanket
judgement.

Also, I think for some readers this *is* the most desired end--like it's the
whole point of reading books, and if they don't identify with a character
they don't like the book.  Or something like that.

Melissa Proffitt