dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #756

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Dec 3 10:36:02 EST 2003

>> My pet peeve at the moment is having neighbours that buy houses with
>> trees and then but
>> them down so they're just like the hundreds of other houses they
>> could have bought without
>> trees. One neighbour bought a bushy block, cut down some beautifuk
>> old gums (they didn't like
>> the leaves being dropped) and then sold the house altogether to move
>> somewhere with "lots
>> of lawn and no trees". Why couldn't they decide on this *before*
>> cutting the trees down? And
>> who wouldn't notice that every bush block in our area is covered with
>> leaves rather than law?
>> Sigh. And another new neighbour has become convinced of the evils of
>> mature trees and looks
>> set to do the same.

I think that's bizarre and unpleasant as well.

We have a house with two willows in the back yard.  Willows are messy
trees, always
dropping leaves and branches.  They drive us crazy.

But we would never so much as _dream_ of getting rid of them.  I could
never consider
cutting a mature tree.  Besides, they make the back yard much more
pleasant in the
summer.