Steampunk (sadly ignorant)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Dec 3 09:09:31 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Charles Butler wrote:
|I've sometimes heard the film *Wild Wild West* quoted as an example of
|steampunk. But this genre is a bit blurry round the edges for me - does
|Philip Reeves's *Mortal Engines* count? And what about *His Dark Materials*?

I've always thought of Wild Wild West as *bad* steampunk, which is why I
didn't list it.  I think that Golden Compass is steampunk (the
alethieometer is *so* steampunk, not to mention anbaric power), but the
second two books really aren't, so much.

-deborah
--
I get all my ideas in Switzerland near the Forka Pass. There is
a little town called Gletch, and two thousand feet up above