dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #756

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Dec 3 00:04:55 EST 2003

> Sophie a bit... Nan Pilgrim, DEFINITELY. Girls whose power comes from
> words? That's interesting.
> Also girls who don't feel very attractive or confident. I am spending a
> period of unemployment keeping house for my mother and sometimes when I
> go out of the house I really feel like Sophie trying to go out on May
> Day.

I identify with Sophie too. Exterior that doesn't match interior, and I also
identify with the way her talent keeps throwing out curved balls. I often
find out I know something about writing I didn;t know I knew. I don't feel
as powerful as Sophie is/was though. Then again, I know how Polly felt about
rewriting reality, but I'm not as stubborn as Polly.

Sallyo.