(need for) Another topic

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 15:29:37 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Melissa badly needed distraction,  So do I.  :-(
>> Oh yes, do let's have something cheerful and
> engrossing!  When we moved
> into this house twenty-some years ago I could look
> out of any of the
> windows and see trees.  There were ten big beautiful
> trees out front up the
> road in various gardens, and the same out the back.
> At the moment three
> men with chainsaws are cutting down next door's two,
> one at the back and
> one at the front, another at the front went a month
> ago -- well, no, it
> didn't entirely go, it was cut off in a horizontal
> line ten foot from the
> ground, and it will die slowly over the next couple
> of years.  Only four
> trees left, and the only one I feel sure is safe now
> is the rowan tree in
> our own garden.  This makes me very miserable.
> Cheer me up...

I hate the needless cutting down of trees. Our council
last year cut down a number of Casurina (a species
non-Australian list members are unlikely to know - so
just pretend) (they are also called sheoaks - look
rather like a conifer with needle like "leaves" but
are quite unrelated) trees in widening our road - we
suspect at the instigation of the church on the corner
so they could have more parking. These trees have been
visited every year by the endangered Glossy Black
Cockatoo, a bird that eats only the seeds of this
tree, last winter after about half the trees had gone
they didn't come. On the other hand some Australian
councils have taken to replacing trees cut down/killed
on public lands by people trying to "improve" their
views with ugly billboards with messages on them about
the importance of keeping trees. The signs remain
until a replacemnet tree has grown.
 For our house we kept as many trees as possible, and
on 6,500 square metres (an acre and a half) we have
plenty. There are 12 trees - four of which are
substantial (over 25 metres tall) within a metre of
hour house.

Casurinas
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_cd/casuarinaceae/

Glossy black cockatoo