Another topic (was Re: Identifying with characters)

Mon Dec 1 20:19:59 EST 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 17:05:27 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>I'm procrastinating doing the finances.  I don't suppose anyone wants to
>>start a long and complicated discussion, eh?
>
>I'm procrastinating about marking. Suggest a topic.

Let's see, I've cleared my desk (mostly), balanced the checkbook (fast), and
got an envelope for Christmas receipts (just one so far).  That means I'm
about 1/6th of the way done.

How about:  Book Sequels.

Are they uniformly terrible, like movie sequels supposedly are?
Why are terrible sequels so bad?
What makes a sequel good?
Is it still a sequel if it's intended to be part of a long series?

I just picked up Barbara Hambly's latest Benjamin January book, and we
finished watching the Sharpe movies last night, so seriesesses and sequelae
have been on my mind.  Jacob's eager for the next Bartimaeus book; will it
be any good?  Was Harry Potter V better or worse than the rest of the
series?  Things like that.

For example:  I enjoyed Tanya Huff's _Summon the Keeper_, but the second was
disappointing and I couldn't even finish the third.  With the second, it was
pretty clear that the plot rambled and didn't have a good focus.  But I
wonder if I was just tired of the style by the third.  I love the peppy
smart-alec remarks, but it got to be too much after a while.  Too clever.

I have no idea what I'm doing right now.  I spent the afternoon being
seriously pissed off at someone who complained about an out-of-context
remark in one of my posts (elsewhere) as being an example of the double
standard of moderating that is plaguing the list.  The guy is constantly on
about people who are allowed to say "offensive" things and why can't he ever
respond, etc.  In my case...well, he's just clearly nuts, that's all.  But I
still wanted to use him for howitzer practice.  I have anger issues.  :)

Melissa Proffitt
(who now has to make dinner, ugh)