OT: Native Tongue

Laurel lalamme at gru.net
Mon Dec 1 12:05:14 EST 2003

Robyn Starkey wrote:

> Hey erudite dwj-ers!
>
> I am just finishing putting together an abstract for a paper on
> Suzette Haden Elgin's Native Tongue. I was wondering if any of you
> have read it (and the sequels), and if so, if you might like to look
> at my abstract and make a comment. The paper is for a conference on SF
> and social change.

I have read Native Tongue and two sequels and would be interested in
your abstract.

Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Charlie:
>
>> DWJ has written a review of Cornelia Funke's *Inkheart* in today's
>> Guardian
>> (my internet browser playing up so I can't give the URL just now - the
>> general homepage is http://www.guardian.co.uk/).
>> Anyone here read it? (After all, we shouldn't trust those darn
>> critics...
>> :-))
>

> I was going to ask the same question - and add one: anyone read  _The
> Thief Lord_, which seemed to get more of a rave?  I got it because of
> DWJ's rec, but wasn't that impressed.

I also didn't care for _The Thief Lord_ very much, although I liked
several of the author's ideas - the carousel, the hiding place in the
theater - and so was left wondering if perhaps the author's style did
not translate very well.  Has anyone read it in German?

Laurel