Spelling with a c or an s (was Re: A College of Magics)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 15:39:47 EDT 2003

Kyla wrote:

>Right, but I figured Minnow was asking because of reading things. Um,
>silently.

I've been practising really hard and I only move my lips a very little as I
read, these days.  :-)))

>However, license and licence are pronounced the same, yes, non-Americans?

I'd say 'em the same as each other, dunno about anyone else though.

>As are practise and practice? So the pronunciation difference isn't the
>case in some of the examples. Interesting thought, though.

It's possible that the pronunciation has slipped over time, and it used to
be like "advise/advice".  One might be able to find out by looking at the
ends of lines in the rhyming poetry of earlier centuries, but I have to
admit that chasing vowel-shifts about the place in the early hours is too
much like trying to locate the fly in the room after one has turned the
light off for me to be about to embark on the Oxford Book Of English Verse
at this precise moment.

[so I left it till the morning, forgot all about it, got involved in
helping someone move house in a hurry...  Anyone else feel like having a go
at that with some wondrous webbery so he can do it in twenty-four seconds
flat, not thinking about anyone called Roger no not even slightly
honest...]

Minnow