Spelling with a c or an s (was Re: A College of Magics)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Fri Aug 29 14:09:58 EDT 2003

>The double negative as emphatic "no" has a strong precedent in Old
>English. So there isn't any real authority for the '2 nos make a yes
>rule'.
>
>Robyn

I'm fond of the story of the linguist who was giving a conference
paper in which he concluded, "Thus, while in many linguistic systems,
double negatives are read as a positive, in no case does a double
positive imply a negative." To which on listener in the back called
out derisively, "Yeah, right."

----

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:13:13AM +0100, Charles Butler wrote:
>  Minnow:
>
>  > This is really difficult to explain, but I am now in a state of mind in
>  > which I looked at "difference" there, spelt it "differense" and started to
>  > wonder about "defence" and "defense".
>
>  For a long I suffered from hypocricy [sick], but I'm glad to report I'm now
>  cured.

My problem is getting a liscence to excercize. Still haven't found a cure.

--
Nat Case