Spelling with a c or an s (was Re: A College of Magics)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 29 13:24:38 EDT 2003

>In fact, briefly contemplating your saying a bit earlier that the rule
>about the split infinitive has been ditched because it's only from boring
>old Latin and so no longer counts (a very rough paraphrase, please don't be
>offended) I note that the only possible way to remember how to spell
>supersede and consensus is to remember that they come from Latin, or else
>simply to memorise the brutes.

I occasionally used to try this line about the Latin to help my composition
students with spelling, but have stopped since many of them give me the
Look. You know, the "what's Latin?" Look.

>This is pedantic to a
>distressing degree, but it does perhaps make it very marginally less
>possible to mistake the meaning.  Robyn's comment that "fully understand"
>is a compound verb is valid-maybe, but I would draw a distinction between
>"to understand fully" and "fully to understand", on account of as how they
>are not quite the same thing...)

This is exactly the point. I would argue, that there is a clear difference
in meaning between the Star Trek classic "to boldly go" and the more
'correct' "to go boldly".

Robyn