Spelling with a c or an s (was Re: A College of Magics)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Aug 28 18:24:36 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> I think that, with some of these, there's a *pronunciation*
> difference that signals the spelling difference.

Right, but I figured Minnow was asking because of reading things. Um,
silently. And if you're saying them, there isn't a spelling issue.
Usually. Unless you're me, and sort of picture the words as you say them.
I think this is why I'm a good speller.

However, license and licence are pronounced the same, yes, non-Americans?
As are practise and practice? So the pronunciation difference isn't the
case in some of the examples. Interesting thought, though.