Thinking

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 17:01:05 EDT 2003

Ven wrote (it was a gnomic utterance!)

>Its possible to know something in your heart and
>have feelings in your gut but I don't believe
>I've ever seen anyone claim that they think.

Therefore they are?  :-)

"And I feel a palpitation kinda flutter in my forehead
As I think the problem over in my heart"

might be relevant... which is part of a Clive James lyric that seems worth
sharing in its entirety, now I look at it again, being as it's heftily
silly...

                Song For Rita

The way my arms around you touch the centre of my being
As I step inside the marshland of your mind
Makes me weak inside my senses like a dog hit by a diesel
And more alone than Milton going blind
And I know I need to lose you if I ever want to find you
'Cause the poet's way is finished from the start
And I feel a palpitation kinda flutter in my forehead
As I think the problem over in my heart
Yes I guess I'll always never know the question to your answer
If I can't be doing wrong by feeling right
But I'm really looking forward to how you'll be looking backward
When I'm walking with you sideways through the night.

I can keep this kind of writing going more or less forever
But I can't undo destruction when it's gone
I can only think of you and what you cost me in hotel bills
As I settle down to dream of moving on
If I've never longed to love you less than now you'll know the reason
Is because my whole desire is to sing
And everything I'm saying is the mirror of your beauty
As it hovers like a vulture on the wing
Yes I guess I'll always never know the question to your answer
If I can't be doing wrong by feeling right
But I'm really looking forward to how you'll be looking backward
When I'm walking with you sideways through the night.

I'm glad I didn't know the original he was parodying, I think.  It's bad
enough that I can never hear another early Leonard Cohen song without
Clive's take-off coming into my mind!  And his wicked skit on James Taylor
(looking sensitive three feet behind Carole King) is a killer.

obDWJ, she giggles over Pete Atkin singing Clive James' lyrics, when she
happens to hear them.

Minnow