OT: Steven Brust

Thu Aug 28 12:47:44 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:25:01 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

>Melissa wrote
>
>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:07:05 -0700 (PDT), Ven
>wrote:

><The funny thing is that when I read your first
>paragraph, I thought, "well,
>what do you expect from someone who doesn't like
>Jane Austen?" !!!  >
>
>Um what did you I say to make you think that,
>you're too deep for me here Melissa!

Because of what you said about finding the style hard work, and because of
having recently re-read _Pride and Prejudice_ myself, which also has a
comparatively difficult style to get into, and remembering the discussions
about Jane Austen.  It was a non-serious reflection...like me claiming that
all of my literary disagreements with Hallie can be traced to Thomas Hardy.

>Melissa
><Anyway,
>it was a funny moment when I got to the second
>paragraph.>
>
>Well, I certainly learned something from that
>discussion.

I learn a lot from the discussions we have here, myself.  Though the one
thing I have not dared to address is why I don't like _Dark Lord of
Derkholm_, because it's been too long since I've read it and I think it
would turn out to be a non-substantive discussion (more idiosyncrasies of
reading taste).  Still, the recent discussion on the subject has been really
good.

Melissa Proffitt