OT: Steven Brust

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 12:25:01 EDT 2003

Melissa wrote

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:07:05 -0700 (PDT), Ven
wrote:

>Its a long time since I first read the Phoenix
>Guards but irrc I did find the style rather hard
>work and persevered for the sake of the plot and
>characters, even though I wasn't too sure about
>them either. After a couple more Vlad books,
>probably at the end of some Brust binge, I read
>it again...... this time it was funny, the time
>after that funnier still. Brust is playing with
>his readers and I'd joined in.
>
>Thats just my idiosyncratic reaction to TPG. I
>suspect that (can I say this without meaning
>something quite different in lit speak?) any
>strong style is bound to alienate some readers
>and attempts at conversion are futile (see my
>discussion with Melissa, Hallie et al on (the
>still odious to me) Jane Austen.

<The funny thing is that when I read your first
paragraph, I thought, "well,
what do you expect from someone who doesn't like
Jane Austen?" !!!  >

Um what did you I say to make you think that,
you're too deep for me here Melissa!

Melissa
<Anyway,
it was a funny moment when I got to the second
paragraph.>

Well, I certainly learned something from that
discussion.

<I was thinking the other day about Steven Brust
and so forth--people who
like Vlad but not the Guards and vice versa,
people who love _Freedom &
Necessity_ and Vlad but not the Guards, all those
endless permutations.
He's like the poster child for author/reader
interaction and reading
repertoire.  He's good even when you don't enjoy
what he's doing.>

I'm not very keen on Agyar or The Gypsy, though I
recently reread them and have to admire the way
they are put together. Freedom and Neccessity
starts to fall apart a bit for me at the end, I'm
simply not convinced by the plot resolution of
the Richard strand.

Melissa
I still haven't read _Lord of Castle Black_ and
I'm starting to think bad
thoughts about my library as they have not
delivered on Martha Wells either.
I'm not quite willing to say that all three
volumes of _Viscount_ should be
available before reading any, but I have this
feeling that it's going to
seem more complete when I can read it that way,
even though the first book
was fairly complete in itself.  The young ladies
discussing how they would
win the hearts of young men by distinguishing
themselves in combat was
priceless.>

Yes, as was their conclusion that they might not,
in fact, care for the kind of young man who would
enjoy being fought over. There's plenty so far
for fans of Morrolan too.  And I have to quote a
neat Brustism from the Dragaera list: someone
speculated that the oft mentioned but never
explained  "Lavode Scandal" was simply the
discovery that Sethra Lavode was undead and had
been for some time.......... Brust's reply, that
Sethra "was having a post-life crisis."
He's sharp.

=====
Ven