College of Magics

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Aug 27 09:33:02 EDT 2003

Acutally the indictment against splitting infinitives is a hold-over
from grammarians who tried to import the rules of Latin grammar into
English.

Splitting an infinitive is no longer considered the breach of
protocol it once was. One should not do it willy-nilly, but it's no
longer considered a mortal sin.

widdy
(spending a lot of time readin usage books these days!)

>Robyn wrote
>
>>For anyone who was curious - I am going to read the passage to my
>>stylistics class to illustrate to them why they need to fully understand
>>the rules of grammar.
>
>and Gill commented:
>
>>Except, presumably, split infinitives?
>><g,d&r v v f>
>
>'S amusing to note that in the 1926 first edition of *Fowler's Modern
>English Usage* "Frequent use of split infinitives" is listed in the entry
>called "Illiteracies"; in the 1965 revised second edition, the wording has
>changed to "Undiscriminating use of split infinitives."
>
>Presumably, either one splits the infinitive carelessly, or one is open to
>a charge of discrimination....
>
><grins like a pike and hides in the pondweed>
>
>Minnow
>

>--

Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
G.K. Chesterton

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net