OT: Steven Brust

Mon Aug 18 13:40:55 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:03:32 -0500, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>I haven't read The Lord of Castle Black yet.
>
>I'm still working my way through Phoenix Guards. And I do mean
>"working." It's quite a switch from Brust's usual style. Yes, I know
>that he's emulating the style of Dumas in The Three Musketeers. I'm
>still finding it a little touch to get through. Perhaps I need to
>read longer chunks than I've been able to do so far.
>
>Is the payoff worth the work?

To me, the payoff was the style.  Because I enjoyed reading the book, that
was a reward in itself.  So if you are "working" through it, I don't know if
the payoff is worth it or not.  I do think reading longer chunks might
possibly make it easier to fall into the rhythm of the style (which is
absolutely a universe away from Vlad Taltos).  At the very least it would
give you some idea of whether you wanted to bother with it at all...it's not
like it's an assignment or anything like that.

I gave _Pride and Prejudice_ to a nice lady in my church who is a
non-reader.  She is gamely struggling through it, though the language and
style are really hard for her.  But it's really a goal for her; it's not
like there's something else she would be reading instead.

And I've never read _The Three Musketeers_ because I get bored.

Melissa Proffitt