OT: Steven Brust

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Aug 18 13:01:56 EDT 2003

Widdy wrote

> I haven't read The Lord of Castle Black yet.
>
> I'm still working my way through Phoenix Guards. And I do mean
> "working." It's quite a switch from Brust's usual style. Yes, I know
> that he's emulating the style of Dumas in The Three Musketeers. I'm
> still finding it a little touch to get through. Perhaps I need to
> read longer chunks than I've been able to do so far.
>
> Is the payoff worth the work?

I think so - but you've got to be in the right mood for it. I had to restart
Phoenix Guard three times before I finished it. Ironically, I didn't manage
past the chapter "in which the plot thickens the way soup does when corn
strach is added" (or something like this...) twice!  Also, I have to confess that
I like the "Tatlos-style" better.

But, in case you haven't read it (I hadn't before I read Phoenix Guards) I
really recommend the Three Musketeers. I read parts of it when I was about
twelve. I thought it was interesting then, but not as gripping as the movies
(Richard Chamberlain and twelve-year-olds... ;-) . Nowadays I really enjoyed it,
because I thought it was really funny - when I was younger the ironic parts
and side-remarks didn't catch my attention. (Maybe I should try Dickens
again...)

Bettina