French names

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Aug 15 05:18:04 EDT 2003

Charles Butler wrote in reply to Kale:
>> I don't speak French so can't comment on the review, but the cover
>> features a violin with cat legs.
>
>Is that in Charmed Life? Obviously time for a reread (it was my first ever
>DWJ and I don't think I've gone back to it since, though obviously I liked
>it!). The quote above the cat has someone proclaiming a need for dragon's
>blood, btw.

The cat is called Fiddle, because of its origin.  Young Eric has made
such horrible noises learning to play the violin that his instrument is
turned into a cat by his sister in self-defence...  And dragon's blood
is definitely important to everyone (not least to the young dragon).

So, *Charmed Life*.  I suppose one might call the plot puzzling if one
were not used to DWJ's later work!

Minnow