Chrestomanci's timelines

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Aug 11 10:30:27 EDT 2003

Hmmm. . . this is a complicated issue, and I don't have an answer for all
of the aspects, but there is one thing I was wondering about, with magic.
I don't remember what it says about the issue in LoCC or WW, but I do
remember, in "The Sage of Theare," when Thasper's father is looking for a
good world to stick him in, he comes to one world where people had stopped
believing in the gods, and so they were already dead.  Perhaps this is a
situation that I've come across in other books, which may be why I think
that it's the case here, or it may be that there's an exact quote
somewhere that I'm forgetting, but I'd always thought that every world,
even ours, started out having magic, and that it was historical
circumstances (such as the rise of science) that led to people no longer
believing in it.  And of course, magic being what it is, when people don't
believe in it, it no longer exists.  So I would think that magic is
natural, and the worlds that don't have it are just normal worlds that
have forgotten about it.

					---Kyra

---
"Day is as light as your brightest dream.  Night is as dark as you feel it
ought to be.  Time is as fast as the slowest thing."

			---Ray Davies (the Kinks), "Wonderboy"