Thinking and talking

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Aug 9 18:06:10 EDT 2003

>I suppose it might be as distinct from thinking aloud, which people also
>do in books.

Then there's my husband, who is still trying to live down the time he
was babbling semi-randomly at a party, caught himself and said, "Oh,
excuse me, I'm just talking aloud."

In general I would rather not be told that somebody is thinking rather
than talking. The absence of quotation marks is all that's needed,
surely? But if the author feels it absolutely necessary to make the
matter clear, I would rather have a text sprinkled with "John thought"
(whether silently, to himself, or otherwise) than one that's italic-heavy.

Or so I think.