Shadowdancers

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 7 16:47:33 EDT 2003

>Ah, Robyn - how do you fancy the popular construction; "John thought to
>himself"?

That's pretty dreadful.

>I often wonder who else he might be thinking it to... are all these folk who
>think to themselves telepathic, do you think? So they might be thinking it
>to someone else?

Well, the students who write "Odgers thinks" clearly have some idea that
authors are broadcasting their thoughts, so maybe it *is* necessary to
specify. Sheesh.

I have an exercise in class where I make students come up with as many
synonyms for "states" (meaning says in writing) as they can, just to
demonstrate the possibilities. There is no excuse for these sloppy usages.

Robyn