Shadowdancers

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 7 12:00:23 EDT 2003

>You may. If I'm commenting on a book by another author, you may quote what I
>say as "my opinion", if I'm commenting on stuff I wrote myself, you may
>quote me as "the author says"... (not "claims", please.... sounds so dodgy!)

Of course it does; these nuances of meaning are really important in
academic writing. I would use "claims" if I were reporting something you
said, if I disagreed with you. My personal bugbear is the use of "thinks"
to describe what authors write. It makes me dig my pen into the margin of
an essay.

Robyn