Renaissance heroes

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Aug 7 04:53:06 EDT 2003

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:08:02AM +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> >Exactly... and if we push the boat out, even "realism" is fantasy in a
way.
> >It didn't happen, even though it might have done.

Roger replied;

> I cannot help but feel that this definition of "fantasy" has now been
> stretched to match the definition of "fiction", and is looking a bit
> baggy at the knees and not really terribly useful any more.

I return;

I see a difference between "fantasy/realistic" and "fiction". To me, the
"fantasy" comes in with the element of wish-fulfilment found in *some*
fiction. Romance fiction is one example, so is some detective fiction.
Fiction is made-up stories, in which matters proceed as they would if these
stories had really happened. The particular kind of fantasy I'm discussing
is different. It is fantasy masquerading as realism. It implies that "rules"
work in real life, when we know they don't. For example - um - we know most
violent crimes against people are committed by family members of
acquaintances. i.e. there's little investigation needed. That's reality. In
(fantasy/realism) crime fiction crimes of this nature are committed by
unknown people using a variety of complex motives and unbreakable alibis.

I know what I mean, anyway, even if I'm not making a good job of explaining
it.

Sallyo.