Shadowdancers

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Aug 7 04:43:20 EDT 2003

> In my uni class (we have to read a book a week of YA fiction), and someone
> brought in Shadowdancers by Sally Odgers... I shall assume that was
> Sallyo(?).

Yes, that's me.

> Anyway, I also realised I had read it ages ago too.
> Good book! I remember it often kept me on the edge of my seat and
> interested, and I really loved the dancing. Some great flavours/cultures
in
> there, from memory.
> Question: do *you* know which option she chose?

Indubitably I do. I'll put the answer at the bottom of this e-mail after a
spoiler space.

I know the ending was
> appropriate, but one can't help wondering, even after all this time....
> It sparked a small discussion about ambiguous endings.

Pirimba chooses to return to our reality. She really hasn't the temperament
to share a life and a body, nor could she try to suppress Pirry, the real
owner. However, some years after Pirimba returns to our world, Pirry (now
woken) has a baby daughter with ShuMar. The child feels slightly sidelined
because of Pirry's devotion to the Valours. Meanwhile, in our world, the
grown up Pirimba has more out of body experiences. She gets to know ShuMar's
and Pirry's daughter, acting as a kind of otherworldly friend. Later, she
succumbs to pneumonia. Instead of dying, she finds herself "sharing" again,
but this time her host body is aware of her and has actually invited her in.
Now older and less opinionated, Pirimba agrees to stay on - for now.

Sallyo.