Renaissance heroes

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Aug 5 19:45:56 EDT 2003

Having snipped the lot...

This is a fascinating discussion, but from my perspective I have another
view. Writers who write historical or fantasy/historical (i.e. fnatasy that
*seems* to take place in the past) fiction usually write about atypical
characters. Think larger than life, think worse than life, think hero, think
villain. We have to, because most editors think most readers don't want to
read about ordinary people. Even if our characters appear to be ordinary,
they always display wells of courage etc that don't ring strictly true. If
we can find even one historical precedent - i.e. a female estate agent -
we'll use it on the grounds that because there was one, there might have
been more.

Sallyo.