Children and Freedom

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 14:32:17 EDT 2003

<< Speaking as someone who deals with children every day and who's been doing
so for a quarter of a century (Ghodd!! I think I'll leave that thought alone)
I have to say that there is imho a definite trend in western society to limit
children's freedom, and to organise their lives for them.  >>

Which is right on schedule with Strauss & Howe's theories on cyclic history.
Each of the four "Turnings" of a cycle has a distinct attitude with the proper
way to treat children, and how children are supposed to behave.

Jones grew up in a *very* atypical household during a Fourth Turning (much
more in keeping with a Third Turning), most of her books were published over
Second and Third turnings. We seem to be diving back into a Fourth Turning now.