DWJ thesis

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Aug 5 00:29:19 EDT 2003

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Robyn Starkey wrote:
|>That's what I'd probably do if I were doing a thesis. Or else on my own
|>books. Is that allowed?
|
|If you do a creative writing MA, it is likely to be required. Commonly,
|creative writers (and music composers, visual artists, etc) write a long
|piece, and then a  thesis or long essay which explores the themes or
|influences that shaped the creative piece. Eg a friend of mine wrote a play
|that was a retelling of a fairy tale, and her thesis part was about Angela
|Carter and other feminist fairy tale retellings. It depends on the degree
|and the institution, though. I think if you wanted to do a "straight"
|literary critical MA on your own work, you might run into some pretty
|strong opposition, though.

Yes, this was what I did for my BA.  In my MA, I used DWJ's work instead
of my own.  ;)

I did quite a bit on language in Archer's Goon, which I've been
rereading today, and I kept finding more and more on language and power.
But I finally have also seen what is probably far more obvious to be
people less caught up in pomo-land than I am -- Howard's turning
thirteen bringing him into his powers, and how it makes ordinary people
look like minions, and the whole parallel with adolsence thing.  Which
has taken me *how many* readings of the book to see?  In how many
decades?  (okay, maybe 15 years or so.)  Now that I think of it, the
adolesence parallels for the family and Ginger and Awful and even
Quentin are so overwhelming, and I don't knwo why I've enver seen them
before.  Aargh, new topic!

-deborah
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones