extremely belated Super Summer Annual Intros!

Mon Aug 4 15:06:04 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:11:45 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> My game of choice back in high school was Fizzbin.  But you need a
>> deck of cards and a lot of clueless patsys to really make that one
>> work.  (And that *is* a game where you want the onlookers
>> completely stumped.)
>
>And, preferably, unfamiliar with Star Trek, yesno?

We were never afraid that anyone would catch on, yes.  Classic Trekkers were
very rare at that time.  But it was a lot of fun watching people try to
figure out "the rules."  In a way, playing Fizzbin is like doing a mirror
dance; you are most successful if you can play off each other so that no one
can tell who's leading.  It's much harder to explain how it is that *both*
of you win at the same time....

>When I was at university, the were dread rumours of a card game called
>Bartok - I never actually saw anyone playing it, and I have no idea if
>it really existed.

It sounds terrifying.  Though it does make me wish that BYU had had more of
a convivial setting, when I was there; there was no student union or
anything, nowhere to just hang out in a public place that wasn't also full
of people studying who got annoyed if you were visibly/audibly Having Fun.
They've remodeled quite a bit since then, but even today I'd bet you still
have to find a club to join.

(They also kicked our Dagorhir group out when we were doing a demonstration
battle.  Some idiot thought it was too real and too violent and got scared.
Bah.)

Melissa Proffitt