Julia and Roger

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:09:08 EDT 2003

Quoting Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca>:
 How did the elegant
> >Chrestomanci manage to have such inelgant children as Cat's cousins
Julia
> >and Roger?
>
> That always bugged me, too. I thought it might be explained by LoCC -
> Christopher and Millie weren't all that elegant themselves as children,
but

> they did seem to be a lot more interesting than Julia and Roger. Perhaps
> part of this is that we see J and R from the point of view of the other
> children, who are disposed not to like them. They are smart, and not
> lacking in gumption, so perhaps elegance comes later.
>
> Robyn

And Lizzie replied:

I just thought it was because Milly was never elegant--even when she wore
gorgeous clothes as an adult, she was still plain, right?  I think a lot
of
Christopher's elegance started as self-defense (ie the vague look) and
became a
side effect of his profession--but Julia and Roger seemed like they were
being
given the childhood that Christopher didn't really have at Chrestomanci
Castle.  I think that the comfortability of their life was a sign of how
well
Christopher and Milly managed as Chrestomanci and civil servants. . ..

Some very good explanations. It's possible, too, for very inelegant
children to become elegant adults.  Or you could look at them as a
contrast to Cat and Gwendolyn.  It's been a while since I read CL, but
isn't Gwendolyn at least described as being very pretty?  I don't know if
this would count as a spoiler or not, but

both Cat and Gwendolyn aren't
what they seem, not physically but otherwise, and doesn't Roger at one
point say that he and Julia are "comfortable" looking? You coudl interpret
that as them being comfortable, satisfied, at peace with who they truly
are, which neither Cat nor Gwendolyn are.  Part of a whole "appearances
are deceiving"theme, which includes Christopher's vagueness and Milly
being plain yet at the same time the physical representation of a goddess,
maybe?

Laurie