DWJ thesis

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 3 12:27:21 EDT 2003

>That's what I'd probably do if I were doing a thesis. Or else on my own
>books. Is that allowed?

If you do a creative writing MA, it is likely to be required. Commonly,
creative writers (and music composers, visual artists, etc) write a long
piece, and then a  thesis or long essay which explores the themes or
influences that shaped the creative piece. Eg a friend of mine wrote a play
that was a retelling of a fairy tale, and her thesis part was about Angela
Carter and other feminist fairy tale retellings. It depends on the degree
and the institution, though. I think if you wanted to do a "straight"
literary critical MA on your own work, you might run into some pretty
strong opposition, though.

Robyn