Heroes and reality

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 3 12:18:29 EDT 2003

>I've never felt that. Yes, they have seriously superhuman elements (no-one
>could be *that* good in bed!) but they are also very caught up in the
>politics of their time, with the sort of questioning and failure to question
>different aspects of society that were coomon then too.

I'm not sure I agree with this, can you give an example of your
interpretation? I was thinking about how much psychological angst her
heroes seem to have.

>But as often as not he doesn't - I've just re-read the Lymond books (yet
>again) and the time it takes him to recover is on the whole quite plausible,
>I think. And Robin of Berecrofts' injuries are hardly cured with the wave of
>a wand!

The fact that Lymond recovers from multiple penetrating chest wounds *at
all* is highly unrealistic. If that were the only miraculous recovery he
has, it might be reasonable, but he recovers from similarly serious
injuries a number of times. All this on top of a constitution which ought
to have been seriously damaged by his time as a galley slave. Niccolo is
the same but more so: hit by a windmill, hacked in the chest by an axe, to
name but two.

>Dunnett's heroes are definitely superheroic, especially in their ability to
>plan ahead and manipulate others, but I don't think they are non-realistic
>in terms of being men of the wrong century.

I think some of the things they do are very suspect as renaissance men,
because the motivations they have are so highly individualistic.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I don't like the books - I do
enjoy them, and her research as far as material things and events is
concerned is impeccable.

Robyn