DWJ resurgence

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 19:45:07 EDT 2003

Elizabeth wrote

<Does anyone know about the whys and wherefores
of
the new editions of
DWJ's books?  I've heard they are being redone
because the publishers are
trying to ride on Harry's coattails.  It seems to

me that Jones's common
theme of children left to their own devices is
even more applicable to
today's children than it was when the books were
originally published.>

I'm surprised you should say that. Here in the UK
its common to regard the age of freerange
children as long gone. Todays kids, goes the
reasoning, are driven everywhere in their parents
cars to prearranged activities, or spend their
time in their bedrooms with the wonders of modern
technology. They don't roam around the streets,
shops  and parks like, say, I did when I was
growing up, because of parental fears about
abduction (overhyped) and traffic (perhaps
justified).

=====
Ven