The side effects of being a DWJ fan. . ..

meparks at mtholyoke.edu meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sat Aug 2 17:15:08 EDT 2003

Quoting Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca>:
 How did the elegant
> >Chrestomanci manage to have such inelgant children as Cat's cousins Julia
> >and Roger?
>
> That always bugged me, too. I thought it might be explained by LoCC -
> Christopher and Millie weren't all that elegant themselves as children, but
>
> they did seem to be a lot more interesting than Julia and Roger. Perhaps
> part of this is that we see J and R from the point of view of the other
> children, who are disposed not to like them. They are smart, and not
> lacking in gumption, so perhaps elegance comes later.
>
> Robyn

I just thought it was because Milly was never elegant--even when she wore
gorgeous clothes as an adult, she was still plain, right?  I think a lot of
Christopher's elegance started as self-defense (ie the vague look) and became a
side effect of his profession--but Julia and Roger seemed like they were being
given the childhood that Christopher didn't really have at Chrestomanci
Castle.  I think that the comfortability of their life was a sign of how well
Christopher and Milly managed as Chrestomanci and civil servants. . ..

lizzie