extremely belated Super Summer Annual Intros!

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 2 09:11:45 EDT 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> My game of choice back in high school was Fizzbin.  But you need a
> deck of cards and a lot of clueless patsys to really make that one
> work.  (And that *is* a game where you want the onlookers
> completely stumped.)

And, preferably, unfamiliar with Star Trek, yesno?

When I was at university, the were dread rumours of a card game called
Bartok - I never actually saw anyone playing it, and I have no idea if
it really existed. The game had rules, but it was forbidden to explain
them while a game was in session - especially the rules governing how
the rules changed during play. Three rules I did manage to pick up:

  1. The winner is the first person to dispose of all his cards.
  2. If you break a rule (ignorance no excuse), you get handed a card.
  3. If you ask a question (about the rules, or anything else),
     you get handed a card.

Newbies were solemnly taken aside and warned that, on encountering
people playing cards in certain places on-campus, they should never,
under any circumstances, utter the words "What are you playing?"

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."