DWJones mystery book

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 2 01:54:43 EDT 2003

>I've never seen historical fiction listed as
>"speculative fiction", although alternative histories
>are, as they are often regarded as a sub-genre of
>science fiction. (although DWJ makes great use of them
>in fantasy). And also historical fiction involving
>time-travel as a plot device is sometimes included.

Interesting. I've seen authors like Dorothy Dunnett described as
speculative fiction; her historical research is generally described as
good, and it isn't alternate histories in the sense of "Henry VIII's elder
brother Arthur didn't die young, so what happens next?" I think there
starts to be some significant grey area between historical fiction and
alternate histories. Where does one draw the line?

Robyn