DWJ resurgence

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Aug 1 15:57:59 EDT 2003

> Does anyone know about the whys and wherefores of the new editions of
> DWJ's books?  I've heard they are being redone because the publishers are
> trying to ride on Harry's coattails.  It seems to me that Jones's common
> theme of children left to their own devices is even more applicable to
> today's children than it was when the books were originally published.

I noticed that when the latest severe price increase was instituted in
children's books, a number of 'classic' children's books such as the
Edward Eager magic books, Robin McKinley's books, etc. had been
re-released. My suspicion is that children who read are part of a backlash
against the depressingly serious materials such as Brock Cole's _The
Goats_, etc. With the resurgence of interest in fantasy in general and the
increasing number of fantasy and magic-related TV shows, it's not
surprising that children's fantasy is something publishers are
re-approaching.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns
to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It knows the names of the
king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of
human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre