Unfortunate names (was Scunthorpe)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 30 21:56:14 EDT 2003

I attended high school with a student of Asian origin (I believe
Hmong) whose full name was Dang Her.  When he was absent my P.E.
teacher, who was, in short, a bad person (for many other reasons)
would scream his name as an exclamation during attendance,
occasionally pointing at female students.
-RDG

>My major professor in grad school claimed that his first Vietnamese
>student had an _extremely_ unfortunate name for anybody entering an
>English-speaking university. On the first day of registration, he
>said, he called the boy in and went through a long rigmarole about
>respecting other people's cultures and languages but gently pointed
>out that some Texas students were not all that enlightened and he
>might want to choose a different name to use while he was living
>here. Whereupon the student looked up brightly and said, "Oh, that's
>all right, Professor DeCamp. My name isn't Ph'uc, it's Ph^uc!"
>
>--
>Margaret Ball
>http://www.flameweaver.com
>

>--

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for
eventually it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel