Zinka

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:29:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 JOdel at aol.com wrote:

> << I suppose it is just barely possible that Zinka had the power & knowledge
> to travel to Earth as a non Magid, because she may well come from a world far
> Ayewards, >>
>
> Or that Zinka was one of the girls who the white slavers were transporting.
> If she was from naywards it might not have been evident that she had enough
> magic to train until she got at least as far ayewards as Earth, possibly not
> until she actually got to the Empire.

	Is that the way it works? That people have magical potential and
it only fully expresses itself in Ayewards' pro-magical inertia and is
hidden by Naywards' anti-magic inertia? That certainly makes sense to
me... But I've never felt I've totally understood the Ayewards/Naywards
thing (partly due maybe perhaps to my scientist's training to never feel I
fully understand *anything* :-). I don't even know how one pronounces
"Magid".  Is the g hard or soft? The a short or long? Where is the
emphasis? "Mah-gid"? "Mah-jid"?  "May-gid"? "May-jid"? (that last one
strikes me as distinctly rum!) Or something truly wild & unforseeable?
Like "Fanshaw" :-)

 She and Simon may have a rather
> interesting backstory, and who knows what the agreements between them were
> over the period that she and Simon were separated for however long it took
> for her to train.

	Ooh! That's a really interesting point... hadn't considered
that... Do you think maybe she trained on Earth? She certainly seems to be
very familiar with Earth....

	Anna