Stubborn reading (was Re: YA/Children's/Adult Books)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 30 12:35:56 EDT 2003

>I do hope people Nicola's age are still encouraged to read that book,
>because it does give some fairly sensible instruction on how an older child
>might rescue a five-year-old from really serious danger, and without
>upsetting the five-year-old too much.  Also it has some of the things one
>might get wrong in that situation, so people Nicola's might not make those
>mistakes, having thought "Oh, she shouldn't have done that!" as they read.

I agree that it is an excellent book. Sadly, it is out of print and very
rare. Forest has a cult readership, and copies are highly coveted. I think
among its excellences are the family's reaction to the new in-laws,
particularly around the riding-crop incident. A lot of books make the
assumption that it is right and proper to hate your step relations, or
relations by marriage. RMF does a good job of showing the "get along for
the sake of everyone's peace" attitude. We had some fairly heated arguments
about Peter and Edwin.

Robyn