Doing it

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 08:33:56 EDT 2003

> One thing I have been wondering vaguely for the past couple of days is
> whether the name Melvin Burgess stuck slightly in DWJ's head and caused
her
> to name a character Mervin Thurless.  This seems likely to be one of those
> things We Shall Never Know, though.

It does sound a bit of a coincidence, doesn't it? It couldn't have been as a
result of their head-to-head on the radio though, as that came later than
DS. On the other hand, MB used to live in Bristol, so maybe their paths had
crossed at some earlier point. Not that the hysterical Mr Thurless is much
like him in character.

(If you ever come to Bristol to do the DS Bristolia tour, you might as well
do the Junk one while you're at it. The junkies' squat is but fifteen
minutes' walk from where I sit...)

Charlie