Books (was Re: YA/Children's/Adult Books)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 07:09:58 EDT 2003

Ros wrote about *The Weirdstone of Brisingamen*

>In grade 6--around the age of 11 or 12--my class was given this book as a
>kind of shared class text (there were several books, which were swapped
>around throughout the year). It made a tremendous impact on me. That same
>year, another of these books that everyone was supposed to read was _The
>Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe_, which I also loved. Other books that we
>all had to read that year were _The Wheel on the School_ whose author I
>can't think of right now,

Grrrrr.  I know it and can't recall it either.

> _Emil and the Detectives_ by Emil Kastner and _A
>Hundred Million Francs_ whose author I really can't remember at all.

Paul Berna. Jennifer will be glad to know that the copy of that in the
dangerous bookshop in Charing Cross Road is now in a Good Home.  His *The
Knights of King Midas* is triffic too, similar feel to it.

>I applaud the taste of whoever chose the books for that year.

Gosh, so do I.

Minnow