Deep Secret, Spoiler Space, Merlin

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Wed Apr 30 06:09:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Anna Clare McDuff wrote:

> comfort his little bro). So using this to calibrate our time frame Rupert
> was probably a Magid before Zinka was a Magid. Though they may have
> qualified contemporaneously I suppose if Simon had become established on
> another world while Stan was dithering over Rupert.

	Just in case anyone actually cares about this little pedantry-fest
of mine, I have a bit to add to this! I haven't yet finished re-reading
DS, but reading over the opening scenes these speculations popped into my
head & I was interested to know what people think. I agree with Elise that
Zinka is a complex & interesting character; I am quite prepared to believe
that Zinka is a good Magid, but she does seem on the evidence to be quite
sexually unscrupulous... and that can have ramifications. In my experience
sexually unscrupulous people tend to believe that *everyone* really is
similarly unscrupulous no matter what they say & that somehow sexual
unscrupulousness doesn't count. Even the best of them can cause quite a
lot of pain and upheaval that way... all the while protesting their purity
of motive.

	I think it's really kind of interesting that early in this thread,
when I was just casting my mind back to DS & not checking my sources
(until Hallie reminded me & I went back to look!)  all I recalled about
Zinka were her & her husband's protestations that of course she was
faithful. Just goes to show how effective it can be to talk the talk while
walking however you damn please...