YA/Children's/Adult Books

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 29 18:52:09 EDT 2003

> > *The Weirdstone of Brisingamen*, in the 1963 Puffin, is recommended
> > as "for boys and girls over eight".   I know plenty of people who
> > loved it at age ten or younger; I read it when I was about ten, hated
> > it, admired it greatly, and some of it still turns up occasionally in
> > my nightmares.

In grade 6--around the age of 11 or 12--my class was given this book as a
kind of shared class text (there were several books, which were swapped
around throughout the year). It made a tremendous impact on me. That same
year, another of these books that everyone was supposed to read was _The
Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe_, which I also loved. Other books that we
all had to read that year were _The Wheel on the School_ whose author I
can't think of right now, _Emil and the Detectives_ by Emil Kastner and _A
Hundred Million Francs_ whose author I really can't remember at all. I
applaud the taste of whoever chose the books for that year.

Ros