YA/Children's/Adult Books

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Tue Apr 29 13:23:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Irina Rempt wrote:

> When I was seven or eight, in the mid-sixties, there was such a system
> in force in our branch library. Dutch libraries have the children's
> books arranged in A (up to 9), B (9-12) and C (12 and up); there used
> to be D (YA) but that no longer exists, half of it is in C and the rest
> in the adult section.
>
> I had exhausted the complete A section, but because I wasn't 9 yet they
> didn't let me take out B books until my mother wrote a Strong Letter.
>
> I'm very glad I don't have to do that for my kids.

	Absolutely! I remember my very first year in school I had finished
all the books allocated for my year by about February. I was *not* allowed
to read any other school books as my teacher, who was a punitive old
witch, explained I wouldn't then have anything to read the next year & I
would thus ruin everything for everyone. My punishment was that I had to
sit and copy out the dictionary while everyone else was having their free
reading period. This *did* give me an invaluable boost to my literacy but
I burned with the shame of it... I was so glad when a more popular girl
finished the books too and I was no longer all on my own, the weird
bohemian academic's brat who wasn't allowed a book to read... In the end
as more & more kids finished the books it became quite a badge of honour!

	Anna