YA/Children's/Adult Books

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 29 13:09:17 EDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 19:55, Anna Clare McDuff wrote:

>  What if books were managed the way we manage films
> and there was an official authority that graded them all by age &
> made it illegal for a child to read a book with an age grading higher
> than their chronological age? I, for one, would despair...

When I was seven or eight, in the mid-sixties, there was such a system
in force in our branch library. Dutch libraries have the children's
books arranged in A (up to 9), B (9-12) and C (12 and up); there used
to be D (YA) but that no longer exists, half of it is in C and the rest
in the adult section.

I had exhausted the complete A section, but because I wasn't 9 yet they
didn't let me take out B books until my mother wrote a Strong Letter.

I'm very glad I don't have to do that for my kids.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-Mar-2003